The height of the tower is 27.7 meters. South Stack lighthouse rates high in AA ghost guide South Stack lighthouse on Anglesey with a ferry crossing the Irish Sea in the background Photo: Gareth Roberts A Holyhead lighthouse and an old Llŷn Peninsula manor have been rated as some of the … I got chatting to one of them, and we're still married 54 years later. LIGHTHOUSE HISTORY. Not long after the death of Oliver Cromwell and the restoration of the monarchy, Charles II, King of England, refused permission to grant a patent for a lighthouse … Nowadays it also provides education, as well as support and welfare, to the UK’s seafaring community. It was built in 1809 to warn ships of the dangerous rocks below. South Stack is a semi rock station because you do get access to the mainland. The Corporation of Trinity House has a long and illustrious history in the service of mariners. Built in 1809 by Trinity House (official lighthouse authority for England and Wales and currently operated remotely) to protect shipping from the rocks around the cliffs it has stood the test of time. South Stack lighthouse is based on the western edge of Holy Island, it takes its name from the cliff section it resides by “South Stack”. For those ships approaching Holyhead on an easterly route to the Port or beyond toward Liverpool Port South Stack is the first lighthouse they will encounter. South Stack Lighthouse South Stack Lighthouse was built by Trinity House in 1809, marking a tiny islet off Anglesey at the north west tip of Wales Built: 1809 Height of Tower: 28 m Height of light above Mean High Water: 60 m Automated: 1983 Electrified: 1938 Optic: 1st Order six panel catadioptric rotating Character: FlRead more South Stack Lighthouse was first envisaged in 1665 when a petition for a patent to erect the lighthouse was presented to Charles II. In this first post about our visit we manage to get into a place we have long admired, the South Stack Lighthouse. The lighthouse … The post, as you will see, features a man called Gordon Medlicott, amongst the last of the Lighthouse Keepers here before all of the UK’s lighthouses were automated up to 1998. The position of the South stack lighthouse is 53 18.4N 04 41.9W. The South Stack Lighthouse was built by Trinity House, a charity dedicated to safeguarding shipping and seafarers. The essential vertical structure of South Stack lighthouse is 28 metres tall (91 feet in old money) and the beam stands at 60 metres above mean high water level. 1881 South Stack 1891 Round Island; Wife and family at St Marys, Scilly Is, CON [RG12/1862/10] 1901 Souter Point 1910 Superannuated AK 1877-9 Eddystone, 1879-89 South Stack, 1889-98 Round Island, 1898-1901 Souter Point PK 1901-3 Smalls, 1903-10 Lundy: Wife: Margaret, 1852, Holyhead, AGY. South Stack Lighthouse earned itself a place in two books, Haunted Britain and South Stack: Anglesey’s Famous Lighthouse, thanks to its spectral resident lighthouse keeper, Jack Jones.According to South Stack author Ian Jones, the lighthouse was a merry place right up until the night of October 25, 1853, when one of the worst storms ever hit the coastline where South Stack is … These four girls suddenly came walking down the 400 or more steps to the lighthouse just as we were went outside. The South Stack Lighthouse is built on a small island off the north-west coast of Holyhead, Anglesey, Wales. The history of South Stack starts in 1665. The patent was not granted and it was not until 9 February 1809 that the first light appeared to mark the rock.